Trinity Medical Centre
1 Goldstone Villas, Hove, BN3 3AT
It's Monday 12:02 PM — We're open
Telephone: 01273 email@example.com
Trinity Medical Centre is committed to provide a safe, comfortable environment where patients and staff can be confident that best practice is being followed at all times and the safety of everyone is of paramount importance.
- This chaperone policy adheres to local and national guidance and policy – e.g. “NCGST Guidance on the Role and Effective Use of chaperones in Primary & Community care settings”.
- This chaperone policy is advertised through notices in the waiting room and the practice website.
- Patients are encouraged to ask for a chaperone if required at the time of booking their appointment wherever possible.
- All staff are aware of, and have received appropriate information in relation to this chaperoning policy.
- All formal chaperones understand their roles and responsibilities and are competent to perform that role.
Checklist for consultations involving intimate examinations
- Establish there is a genuine need for an intimate examination and discuss this with the patient.
- Explain to the patient why an examination is necessary and give the patient an opportunity to ask questions.
- Offer a chaperone or invite the patient to have a family member/friend present. If the patient does not want a chaperone, record that the offer was made and declined in the patients record.
- Obtain the patients consent before the examination and be prepared to discontinue the examination at any stage at the patient’s request.
- Record that permission has been obtained in the patients record.
- Once chaperone has entered the room give the patient privacy to undress and dress. Use curtains where possible to maintain dignity.
- Explain what you are doing at each stage of the examination, the outcome when it is complete and what you propose to do next. Keep discussion relevant and avoid personal comments.
- If a chaperone has been present record that fact and the identity of the chaperone in the patients records.
- Record any other relevant issues or concerns immediately following the consultation.